Skip to main content

For your sake, Mama

Shutterstock.com




 This is the first time I've held a gun. 


I stare down at it as my grip tighten on the cold metallic casing of the revolver. Now, a little back story.

I've been a petty thief for as long as I can remember. From the time I knew the pain in my intestines, the loud growling of my tummy that wouldn't stop no matter how many cups of water I juggled. Since those early years when other kids made fun of my ragged clothes and worn slipper; when a razor wound on my scalp caught an infection because my old man and Mama could not afford proper medication.

I've been a thief since I knew lack.

Stealing electronic sets, stealing car parts, cracking vehicle locks were things I felt most alive doing. You know why? They put food on the table, they drove away the lack. There's really no guilt in this.

Today is strangely different. Maybe it's the gun? Or my mother's request the day before nudging me to go ahead " do it for my sake" she had said. I feel the thud in my chest growing, will there ever be an end to this? 

I shut my eyes as I hold onto the gun  and the bag. The nasty wound on my mother's leg flash before me, I know I need get out or risk getting busted. " For your sake mother" I mutter as I dash towards the exit away from the bright commercial Bank into the dark night, the police right on my heels.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That which is hot will eventually get cold

  istock.com Emesia, Ife di oku ga aju oyi. Nwayo ka eji alacha ofe di oku. Aku fesia odalu awo. I have come to believe these sayings. I own them now like personal property. Yes, this wisdom concerning patience and the need to persevere in difficult times.  I remember those years so far gone that they seemed like many centuries past. Years that bore sad times, very dark times; days with heartbreaking memories. There had really been no future to hope on, everything had been pitch black, coated with soothes of wretchedness. How did he come to this? To what he is now? Sometimes, all it takes is a tiny little act of believing here, and a step of faith there, he heaved with a smile. "Mister, you seem pretty relaxed for a first time flyer, could never be me in a million years"  he  snapped out of his thought then and glanced at a fiftyish woman sitting beside him. "Oh Ma'am, I think I'm probably too excited to care about all else" he smiled at her, his eyes gliste...

A Girl, Charming Eyes and Dark Paths

Gettyimages.com  She hated this path and wondered why he would want or even let her walk them this time of the night. It was eerie now, probably owing to the stories granny Odo had told about it, stories she heard while growing up. They had made such a mark on her that she had avoided it for the past seventeen years of her life.  So, it was either the stories were getting to her now or she was just being paranoid. Pufff, it wasn't like some spirit was actually going to take her away or something, right? She thought rolling her eyes. She pushed the thought away and tried to cheer herself up by thinking about Kalu, the fine man she was meeting up with. She gripped the handle of the burning lamp tighter and smiled.  Although she didn't quite know why the path got quieter and quieter as she walked on, nor why it seemed to get broader and broader, she kept walking, all the while filling her mind with thoughts of Kalu and his charming, hazel eyes. She hastened when she saw the ...